Monday, March 21, 2011

Korean Schools

I may not always remember my students' names, but I do always remember faces.  This is true both here and in the states.  I met my second high school class today (it's their first year in high school, I had them last semester at the middle school).  As I looked around observing how many of the students look a little older, I noticed some new faces.

I asked where they were from and all (5) responses were the same, "Chuncheon."  Chuncheon is a much bigger city than Seoseok (country side) and is about 30-45 minutes away.  I then asked why they came all the way to Seoseok to go to school.  Not meaning to put any of the "newbies" on the spot, I soon learned why.  One of the boys said, "I failed the middle school exam (said as hands covered their faces) and so did he, her, we all failed."

Not good.....

Seoseok schools are at the low end of the totem pole.  With the exception of a few, students are usually not expected to do well on their middle school end of the year exam.  Chuncheon, on the other hand, has some of the best schools.  A few of the middle school students who scored high on their exams attend school in Chuncheon. In particular, one girl moved there with her mother so that she could get a better education, and one of the boys will live in the dormitory on his schools' campus (yes, high schools "house" students).

While I had dinner at Outback Steakhouse (in Chuncheon), one of the servers began talking to me.  I learned that she is a college student (referred to as university).  She is studying environmental management.  I learned that she absolutely hates it! I asked her if she planned to change her major and she told me no! She can't because, "I failed my high school end of the year exam so this is what I have to study."

I just shook my head....

No comments:

Post a Comment